Cannabidiol (CBD) oil is a product derived from the cannabis plant. CBD is a cannabinoid, which is a compound naturally found in cannabis plants. It does not contain psychoactive properties (no THC) and hence does not produce a “high” effect, but it has been proposed to have a wide range of health benefits.
Most people have heard about some common uses of CBD oil, like help with sleep and anxiety relief. Whilst more research is needed to further understand the therapeutic attributes of CBD oil, here are some other areas where scientists are finding there may be possible benefits:
In a placebo-controlled study of participants with type 2 diabetes, those on CBD oil were found to have improved regulation of insulin related hormone levels.1
CBD was administered to people with heroin use disorder. Over the course of a week, CBD was found to reduce withdrawal cravings and anxiety, and lower cortisol levels (associated with stress) in the saliva.2
In a study of 11 adult patients with PTSD symptoms, CBD administered with routine psychiatric care found a reduction in PTSD symptoms. CBD also appeared to offer relief in a subset of patients who reported nightmares as a symptom of their PTSD.3
Did you know that CBD Oil may help with oral and gum health? In a study performed on rats with gum disease, the rats treated with CBD oil healed faster, had healthier gums and less bone destruction.4,5
While there isn’t yet conclusive evidence to support CBD oil for these uses, researchers agree that CBD products have a lot of potential, and more studies are needed to further understand their therapeutic benefits.
RDC Clinical is a clinical research organisation within the industries of complementary medicines, dietary supplements, foods and cosmetics. We would love your help, please click the link below to see our currently recruiting trials.
Paid Bio-availability studies recruiting now in Brisbane
Get paid while relaxing…Spend a day at RDC Clinical in Newstead, helping assess the absorption of CBD Oil.
- Cannabidiol attenuates high glucose-induced endothelial cell inflammatory response and barrier disruption. American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2007;293(1):H610-H619.
- Cannabidiol for the Reduction of Cue-Induced Craving and Anxiety in Drug-Abstinent Individuals With Heroin Use Disorder: A Double-Blind Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2019;176(11):911-922.
- Cannabidiol in the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Case Series – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6482919/
- Oral Health – https://dimensionsofdentalhygiene.com/amp/article/combating-periodontal-diseases-cannabidiol/
- Comparison of Efficacy of Cannabinoids versus Commercial Oral Care Products in Reducing Bacterial Content from Dental Plaque: A Preliminary Observation – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6991146/